Monday, June 16, 2008

Imagine thousands of beautiful fans cheering for YOU!

If you are reading this blog, chances are that you are a member of the LGBTQ community and that you are family-centered (whether you have kids, want to have kids, or not). If you are not part of this population, then perhaps you have a loved one who is, and you support his/her/their human rights. Moreover, you are either a MEGA member, potential MEGA member, or some bored individual who doesn't know how you wound up on this page anyway. If, indeed, you are a MEGA member and/or interested in the organization, read on...

So, June is Pride Month (though our Pride is in July this year). This is the time of year that gay rights tend to be at the apex of their promotion. Pride is especially important to me. No, it isn't only because women in sports bras tend to wrestle with me on the grass (well, there may be none of that this year anyway), but it's because I truly support the cause. There was a time in my life, not even a decade ago, that I didn't have the courage to have pride. Looking back, I'm not sure what was so frightening...I'm just glad I finally came to terms with it all. Better late than never.

One of the neat things about embracing my sexual orientation is that I realized that many key apspects of my life haven't changed from my "straight-wannabe" years. I'm still a mother, and I still value the time with my kids, raising them, etc. Though the person I am terribly in love with is a woman, I have values similar to those women who love men. I want to raise healthy, happy children. I work hard for the roof over our heads, and I enjoy life similarly as many heterosexuals. There's nothing to be ashamed of, but much to be proud of.

This is where I get to the part where I imagine we are all celebrities, being cheered for on the streets...folks, I strongly encourage you to not only attend Pride this year and support the cause (We won't achieve equality by sitting out.), but also to show your spirit in the parade!!!! Bring your kids! We can decorate bikes, wagons, scooters, etc! If nothing else, consider it your exercise for the day. MEGA is more than just the people who give out the cool yellow bumper stickers!! We are an organization working hard for equal treatment for ALL families. Don't you want to come out and show America that we are normal families with values that promote a strong society?

No comments: