Monday, August 18, 2008

Working together

As a married man with 2 children I was given the advice of an older gentleman in my church that as parents we should give a united front even if we didn't always agree. He said it showed that as adults we were capable of working together to "get the job done". Making decisions is never easy. As an out "somewhat single" gay man who is still parenting 2 kids with my x wife I remember those words whenever there is a disagreement with my X and I on how to do something or what to "approve or disapprove" for one of the kids.

As a member of the GLBT community I'd like to say that "community" rings loud and clear but sometimes I wonder. Community should mean that we are working together. I constantly am hearing and seeing that there is constant disagreement in the GLBT arena. Some of that is expected but sometimes its just about sucking it up and making a concession. Sometimes its about supporting something even if your ideas didn't get the full attention. It constantly amazes me that in all my years of working in the mainstream "world" with many different groups that there seemed to be a lot more give than "take".

Whether its parenting, working on a committee, or office politics I think its time we all should take a long hard look with out mouths closed and our ears open, decide if we are part of the solution or part of the problem and then be proactive and do something about it. I want to be a decent example for my children and I want to make some positive changes for the young GLBT community that will follow in my footsteps. Is anyone else interested in doing the same thing? I hope so.

No comments: