Friday, February 02, 2007

Little Einsteins: The Missing Parents

My daughter is almost 2, and a die-hard Little Einstein's fan (no, not Baby Einsteins) on the Disney channel. I can't tell you how many episodes I've watched with her--we actually have it set to Tivo because she doesn't quite understand that the show doesn't just come on whenever she wants. Anyway, I digress.

We are having a Little Einstein's themed birthday party for her next week, which has proven very difficult since they don't make Little Einstein party supplies. I have been amazed that virtually none of my daughter's peers are watching the show. As parents, we think it is great, and actually tolerable to sit through with our little one.

One of the neatest things about the Little Einsteins (besides the music and art) is that there are no parents on the show. I am fairly certain we have seen every single episode, and so far, we haven't seen a single parent. Just 4 friends and a rocket who are very sweet kids.

Why do I care about the no parents? Well, my almost 2 year old picks up everything, and I like the idea of her seeing a show where she doesn't have to see families not like hers. Now, I am quite sure all the kids come from heterosexual families, but my daughter doesn't have to see it or question it.

When we watch Dora or Diego (her other two shows), she will sometimes mimic one of the characters and start saying Poppi or Daddy. We know we can't shelter her from this, but it sure is a weird experience to hear your daighter yelling out daddy when she has none.

So, Bravo to the Little Einstein creators for keeping the show simple, without the parents! Kids are great on their own, and it's nice for our kids to get a break from a very heterosexual world out there.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing. I am always looking for gay friendly children's shows!

Anonymous said...

My daughter also loves this show. She also wants a Little Einsteins birthday party and I have been searching high and low and I just found it on Shopzilla.com. It is the original stuff, not stuff made by someone's parent. I am now so excited.