Thursday, October 07, 2010

Teaching the word "Gay"

I am probably way behind on this question, but I am going to put it out there anyway. I have a 5 1/2 year old daughter who doesn't know what the word "gay" or "lesbian" means, which is kind of ridiculous since mommy works for the Gay Community. I don't know why or even how we have avoided the subject for this long, but somehow we have reached this point and she doesn't know, and I am thinking I should probably tell her. Especially since this is Gay Pride weekend and she is bound to pick up on the word this year.

She has been to every Atlanta Gay Pride since she was born, and really has never questioned anything about it. She loves the idea of being in a parade, seeing lots of her friends, and the general festival-like atmosphere. I have a feeling this is the year she might notice a few new things, like the men who will undoubtedly be wearing chaps with their butts hanging out, or perhaps the topless women.

Around our house we have talked about different kinds of families, and she knows she is part of a two-mommy family. She is very happy child, and I dread the day she learns that there are people who hate our family without even knowing us. I imagine she will start figuring this out sooner rather than later, especially if she learns about the word "gay."

Now she might pay attention to the media and adult conversations she overhears when people are speaking about gay issues (right now I think it just sound like adult babble talk). I guess it is as good as any time to help her embrace the positive meaning that goes with the word "gay" before she starts hearing the negative on the playground.

Gay Pride will have a much bigger meaning for us this year. This will be the year that Maggie will learn she is part of the Gay Community. I don't expect her to put much thought into it, but it will give her some context as to who we are and what mommy does for a living.

We'll see how it goes!

No comments: