Thursday, March 20, 2008

Mega Family Champions

I am in the Corporate / furnished housing business and recently attended our annual conference for the largest organization that represents us in our industry. This year I served on the membership and the conference committee and found it to be a lot of work. I had conference calls and responsibilities for both committees and a "job" to do when I got to Vegas. This was my fourth annual meeting and up to this point I found it informative and a "nice break" from work but that was about it. This year, through my involvement, I learned the inner workings of the organization and how things are done. I learned the core principles of the organization and found the conferences value quadrupled for me. The price of the conference was SO worth it when I realized that I knew what was going on and even had a hand in it.

I know this "idea" was stolen from someone so I'm not taking the credit but....
The value of something should not be determined by what you get out of it until you think about what you are putting in to it.

I learned this lesson this year. I know now that if I really want to get something out of an organization or event that I need to put something back into it. Thats why I volunteered to serve on the board of Mega Family and recently added myself to the list of Mega Family Champions. My 2 cents in time and money may not mean much by itself, but combine that with everyone else and we both gain from it. I've never believed that as much in my life as I do now. I hope that the readers of this blog will feel the same. Get out there and contribute whether it be your money or your time. JUST DO IT :).

No comments: